[C320-list] Dinghy Propulsion

John Morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 16 11:59:32 PST 2020

My dinghy is a 270 Walker Bay which I mount on Garhauer davits. The motor is an 8 horse, I lift it off the dinghy using a Garhauer motor hoist and store it on a motor mount on the stern pushpit. You will not plane with an 8 HP and 2 folks in the dinghy as it won’t get up on step. With one person it’ll fly!!
An 8 horse 4 stroke weighs about 80lbs so unless you’re a really strong guy with a really good back you won’t be able to manage the motor, especially if there is a lop on! I would look at an electric motor. Torqueedo has made major strides with their battery endurance. The motor and battery separate so it is very easy to handle. Of course you won’t plane with it but they develop a lot of torque so will push you against a fairly strong current. Other advantage is no gas to worry about and the electric has a solar charger.
Lots to think about, but I’m seriously considering electric.
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone