[C320-list] Dinghy Propulsion

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 16 20:12:28 PST 2020

I have to admit, I’m a little puzzled by all of you folks towing your dinghies. Where I sail, we get a fair amount of choppy water. Towing a dinghy becomes a pain, particularly in a following sea, when it can run up on the stern.

Before I installed Weaver davits, I would carry a partly inflated dinghy on the foredeck. I have a 12-volt pump that would fill the chambers fairly quickly. If we needed to, we could use the main halyard to dump it over the side before anchoring.

A fully inflated dinghy of 9 feet or less will fit on the foredeck, although it hinders visibility a bit. It looks a little clunky, but it’s actually a more seaworthy choice than dragging the dinghy behind you. The 320 can be fast; you’re slowing her down.

I guess it’s a case of local custom and sailing habit. I never carry a dinghy unless I’m on a cruise and need to get to shore. In other places, I’ve seen boats carrying or dragging dinghies on day sails. I guess it’s what you’re comfortable with.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10