[C320-list] Chesapeake Bay Cruising/sailing

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Wed Nov 18 08:50:26 PST 2020

Scott,

A couple of good groups to join on Facebook - Upper Chesapeake Sailing and Middle Chesapeake Bay Sailing. Though you may have to ask questions, as these sites are mostly locals sharing pictures and such. I'm sure people will be glad to jump in and help.

My knowledge if the bay south of Solomons is limited, so hopefully others can chime in with information from there.

Additionally, there are several C320 sailors on here who call the Chesapeake Bay home, and I'm sure we would be willing to share information. Hopefully, they will chime in. It's a wonderful cruising ground. From a sailing perspective, either May/June or September/October will likely yield better prevailing winds if you have the choice. When the dog days of July and August come along, there are a lot of windless days around here - and more thunderstorms. But no matter when you chose to do it, you'll have a lot of fun.

If you're bringing a dog, be sure to check with Troy Dunn - he has the scoop (no pun intended) on dog-friendly anchorages.

You can also get quite a bit of information from Active Captain, as well as the online Waterway Guide site.
https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/
https://www.waterwayguide.com/explorer?latitude=38.58145263504284&longitude=-76.10641479492188&zoom=9

Some great towns to consider visiting, starting in the North - and in rough order moving South:
Havre De Grace
       Sassafrass River is a special place - plan on stopping there for a quiet night
Baltimore
Rock Hall
Chestertown
Annapolis - by mooring ball or marina - lots of great dinghy landings
Kent Narrows
St. Michaels
Oxford
Solomons
St. Mary's City

and countless quiet anchorages in between...

to name a few.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us