[C320-list] Sad News: Frank Butler

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 18 18:38:03 PST 2020

The wonderful thing about Frank Butler’s Catalina is how attuned it is to the people who sail the boats. It allowed the company to survive and thrive while most of the others died off.

I marvel at how hard they strived on the 320 to make everything accessible, enjoyable and excellent quality. That’s not an easy thing to do on smaller sailboats.

I’ve owned a C&C, a Bristol and a Compac over the years and been on many others. While they were all great boats, they were terrible to work on. Boat yoga, I called it, after my wife’s favorite exercise.

The only way to adjust the stuffing box on the Bristol was to hang upside down. Many C&Cs have those reverse drives that are impossible to service. Beneteaus cheaped out their through hulls and use iron in their keels. Compacs have concrete keels!

An added bonus is that the 320 is fast for its size and design. And the wheel has little weather helm and is easy to handle. Catalina put a great deal of effort into making our days fun.

Not to mention, the company’s chief designer answers the phone at the plant!

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10