[C320-list] EV-100 install on early 320

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Nov 23 09:41:04 PST 2020

What I'll add to Graeme's post is that quite a few of us have done this project.  I got guidance from several others initially.

Mechanically, Installing the Evolution linear drive is not overly complicated.

Some things that I really disliked when I installed our wheel pilot early on, was that I had to drill into the stainless pedestal tubes to snake the motor control wires up to the AP Control head. That was a serious pain in the a.  You'll also have to drill into the white pedestal tower itself which breaks into the Edson factory paint and can cause it to bubble in a few years.

The wheel pilot connector and weather boot that hooks to the motor is fragile and easily broken. Why they put such a crappy connector on such an exposed connection is beyond me. Removing the wheel becomes cumbersome and fragile (we used to remove the wheel a lot and hang it on the Edson rail mount to open up the cockpit). You'll have to mount the motor on the left side of the pedestal, which makes the handle flip UP to engage and down to disengage, which isn't in itself a problem, you get used to it. There's too much stuff going on with the right side of the engine pod to mount it the normal way. Whenever you power up the wheel pilot, it steers a few degrees to check the motor which means that you have to be careful not to have it engaged with the pedestal locked during power up.  The linear drive does not do this.

Getting it adjusted to steer properly was a challenge, but once calibrated, it was pretty good, but absolutely nothing comparable to the silent stable steering of the linear drive.  Engaging/disengaging is just a button press.  If it's in the budget, you'll never regret the Linear drive choice.

I have a CAD drawing for the stainless steel backing plate that any machine shop can make easily (mine cost $93).  We have all the mechanical installation details nailed down, so that there shouldn't be any rocket science involved as long as you have someone that can fit in the aft locker to work.

One real benefit of the Linear Drive is safety.  It drives the rudder post directly, so takes a lot of the stress off the cables when it's running.  If you have a steering cable break or jump the gears, the linear drive can still be run manually to drive the boat any time you'd think you have to resort to the rather useless Emergency Tiller.

My $.02

-Jeff Hare
2001 #809 Woodbine II