[C320-list] EV-100 install on early 320

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Mon Nov 23 10:44:03 PST 2020

Hi Jack,
You are so right!  On our tall ships it is not unheard of for the displays to fail. Thankfully we have one in the nav and one at the helm.  In the future we are looking forward to having access to everything via onboard wireless networks.
On our 320 I still have a couple of Garman 48s in the Nav along with a ton of AAA batteries, just in case.
I was on a zoom call Saturday morning with the Captain of a USCG 82' cutter and we got to discussing nautical charts.   She said while they still have them aboard, the USCG is clearly moving towards eliminating the requirement to carrying them aboard.   She didn't know when it would happen and expressed the opinion that she still likes keeping them updated during a mission as it is very easy to come on watch and come up to speed quickly by looking at the plots on the paper charts.
Bruce
Somerset, San Pedro (Port of Los Angeles)
PS.  My yarn on the shroud routinely catastrophically fails and needs to be replaced!