[C320-list] Cutless Bearing Project

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Mon Nov 23 11:07:56 PST 2020

Troy,

Sorry if this reply is too late. I was over at the boat this weekend installing my injection pump so it gave me a chance to refamiliarize myself with the project.

I followed these procedures pretty closely. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dripless+shaft+seal+installation#kpvalbx=_QgS8X4PuCuTrxgHu5YG4CQ18 I especially like the fact that the gentlemen says to “put some welly on it”, a phrase I now use. I did what he suggested, which is to mark the plate that couples the shaft to the transmission. Then, once I removed this shaft coupler from the transmission plate (coupler), I used a standard automotive 2-jaw puller to remove the coupler from the shaft. I do not see any reason you could not do the two jobs separately. I viewed it as maintaining my drivetrain, so I did all three at the same time (grease the prop, replace the bellows, replace the cutless bearing). This gave me piece of mine, at least for the bellows and bearing. Now I simply grease the prop when I haul the boat. Ostensibly I could pay a diver to grease it in the water.

I would suggest you call them regarding the spacer. I am interested to know which kit you ultimately buy and if you needed a spacer. It is possible I bought the wrong kit, but the fact that my existing bellows had the spacer suggests that is not the case.

Jeff