[C320-list] EV-100 install on early 320

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 05:52:20 PST 2020

All,

One requirement for the Raymarine ram is that you must install hard stops
to limit the rudder to (IIRC) +/- 35 degrees rotational travel.  This, I
assume, is to keep the ram itself from acting as travel stops.

This amount of rudder travel seems more than adequate for open water
sailing, but it may not be for everyone.  For example, our dock is close to
the end of a narrow canal and we feel like we need the entire ~55 degrees
(as measured by me) rudder swing in order to turn our boat around in one
motion (she turns in not much more than one boat length).  Of course, we
are moving very slowly when we perform this maneuver and are also well
protected from wind and waves.  But this is why we chose the
wheel autopilot, no stops.

That said, we are Gulf of Mexico coastal sailors but even then we have been
in a condition that overpowered the wheel pilot and had to take the wheel
ourselves.  So it is not for everyone but it works well for us.

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206
Naples, FL