[C320-list] Stuffing box question

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 01:14:53 PST 2020

Jeff

With respect that is unfair

Never put a screw in yourself but employ a pro to do it? No! Of course not - you make a risk assessment and so long as you’re happy that you aren’t going to drive the screw through something important then you grab the screwdriver and do it.

Install a below deck a/pilot? Risky.  You’re messing with the steering. That ram produces a lot of force. Do it wrong and you could punch a hole through the hull.  Should you save a buck there or get the pros in

Replace a portlight or hatch lens. Mess that up and in a heavy sea you could sink your boat. Worth the cost saving.

Re wire your electrics? Hmmm, the wrong fuse or wire gauge and you could have a fire onboard. Is it really wise to do that yourself?

But fiddle with the stuffing box where, in the worst possible case, a leak could be easily contained. Now that’s a step too far!

I realise that I’m conflating “getting a pro to do it” with “make it safer to DIY” but the message is the same.  We all make risk assessments consciously or otherwise hundreds of times every day.  Those assessments should be informed by fact and science and not by unfounded worry.  Some people are scared of flying and no amount of science or statistics will change their view

So I don’t criticise anyone at all for taking the haul out option if they feel happier with that  anymore than I’d criticise a nervous flier for going by train, but for you to suggest that anyone doing the job without hauling out is an unnecessary risk taking penny pincher,  is frankly, disingenuous.

Don’t want to fall out with you on this buddy, or indeed anyone else. It’s just my opinion, which you are all perfectly entitled to ignore or disagree with! No offence intended!

Graeme

Sent from my iPad