[C320-list] Longest Voyages with a Catalina 320

RONALD HODEL ronandgail2 at me.com
Sat Nov 28 13:11:44 PST 2020

As we’re all kind of ‘sheltering in place’ because of COVID, my wanderlust is kicking in big time. I’d be interested in knowing, if anyone is willing to share, how far from ‘home’ people have taken their Catalina 320s’. I’m familiar with the AtomVoyages story. Where have others gone? It sounds like skippers in Australia and New Zealand take some lengthy trips. What was the longest non-stop leg? What weather/sea conditions did they encounter and how’d the boat handle it? What did skippers do to prepare their boat would take a book but maybe just include some key easily overlooked things.

We took our 320 from Dana Point, Ca to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico then summered up in the Sea of Cortez. We logged about 3000 miles. Our longest non-stop leg was 360 miles. The highest wind while sailing was 30 knots true and the toughest sea conditions were running downwind and having wave sets come from 2 different directions - not even the below deck linear autopilot could deal with that so we hand steered. One thing I overlooked was making sure the windlass was in like new condition. It failed. And we needed to replace the mixing elbow, replace the masthead antenna and repack shaft at anchor - fortunately we carried replacement parts.

Anyone else?

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend

Ron Hodel
Lokomaikai #1070