[C320-list] Keel bolt tension

Michael Ferguson coralman at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 30 09:43:19 PST 2020

I have owned my boat since 1997 and have not found it necessary to tighten the bolts. Am i missing something? MichaelNauti Clew 169

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 9:37 AM, Allan Field<allanfield47 at gmail.com> wrote:   David - Per Catalina, the keel bolts get torqued to 235 foot pounds with
the weight of the boat resting on the keel on the ground. You can't do this
in the water. You will need a torque wrench that goes to 250 pounds, a
1.50-inch 6-point deep socket for the keel bolts, and extension bars that
will fit between the socket and torque wrench. That said, you think you
have 1.00-inch keel bolts which could change things. If so, I would suggest
you verify the torque pressure directly with Catalina first but this is the
first I have heard that Catalina had 1.00-inch bolts on these boats.

While the Association has a toolbox loaner program and it looks like you
are in AU, I don't believe that the AU program has the torque wrench,
socket and extensions in their program. But it might help to verify as if
they do, then you just pay shipping costs back and forth. [NOTE: I
originally put together the toolbox program many years ago and when I left
4 years ago, AU did not have the keel bolt tools.]

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - C387, #103 (formerly C320, #808)
Columbia, MD