[C320-list] Engine Temperature Gauge Failure

Clay Carter fclaycarter at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 05:54:30 PDT 2020

Since acquiring hull 225 with Perkins M30 last year I’ve noted my gauge instead of maintaining 180 degrees, instead seems to dance while underway as if from vibration from say 120-200 degrees. While frustrating to read this had never been a problem and engine is great with no issues. Yesterday it has stopped working completely while on a weekend trip. Anybody with suggestions about what/how I can troubleshoot this while now away from port?  The gauge might simply need replacing or perhaps loose wiring or bad sending unit etc.. Where is the sending unit location?  Finally, is the temperature overheating alarm part of this gauge and/or sending unit or is it entirely separate?  Of course I’m concerned about overheating while away and having no alarm to notify me of the danger. Thanks for any input.

Clay Carter
Hull 225
We’ll Sea
Alamitos Bay, CA