[C320-list] Traveller woes

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Oct 19 09:46:00 PDT 2020

Thought I would follow up on my original post after solving this
problem. In looking at some pictures on the Garhauer website I
determined that I did not have the very old traveler design that was the
target of the traveler upgrade kit. That is, it appeared my traveler
already had the newer design.

However in looking at the details more closely I determined that there
were some subtle differences between the MT-2 traveler Garhauer is
selling today and the one on my boat. The difference has to do with how
the lines are kept captive on their sheaves. As I noted in my original
post, the blocks originally installed on my boat kept the lines captive
on one side in part by using a vertical stainless post near the sheaves.
In principle, this kept the line on one sheave from departing that
sheave. However, it allowed for a gap between the sheaves. The control
lines, if left slack, would tend to fall into this gap partially, and
then if loaded up again often would bind in place, jamming the sheaves.
The newer design more completely captures the control lines on each
sheave so that this cannot happen even if the lines are completely slack
on one side.

After discovering this design difference I spoke to Guido at Garhauer,
who kindly forwarded me more detailed photos of the current design so
that I could verify my findings. (The photos on the website do not
provide detailed blow ups of the control blocks.) Based on that, I
ordered a complete set of replacement control blocks. Guido told me that
it would be best to replace the entire traveler car rather than try to
replace the control blocks on the car, so that is what I did. The
install of the new car and end controls was very easy. (I had
anticipated frozen bolts, etc., but did not encounter this.) Basically
unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new ones. All you need are some
screwdrivers and allen wrenches.

This past week I tried the new system out, including sailing upwind and
reaching in 20+ knots apparent wind. Wow, what a difference! The new
system never jammed and was much easier to trim and adjust, even heavily
loaded. Wish I had done this years ago.

I'll eventually post some pictures of the old and new controls so that
you can more easily visualize the subtle difference in design that
apparently makes a world of difference in performance. (Of course new
bearings help too.) I'll follow up on this post when I do that.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653 (1999)