[C320-list] Someone replaced my line?

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Oct 30 08:00:21 PDT 2020

I'm with Pat here.

Another C320 owner had someone make and install a companionway cover like the one Pat Tormey has on his boat now. They installed it along with the fasteners on my boat, but it was supposed to go on another C320 a few slips away. While I didn't ask for it, it was well made, I liked it and I paid the bill in full that she left on the boat and let her know the error. She was sorry, but glad I liked it and didn't leave her holding the bag.  She did some repairs for me after that at way below normal prices.

A few years back, very respected canvas fabricator friend of mine was commissioned to fabricate a Dodger for a sailboat.  Patterned it in the fall, fabricated it and in the spring the guy wanted it installed as early as possible since he was leaving the next week for a race.  That spring he installed the new frame and dodger on the boat and let the owner know. When the owner arrived, he called back and said where's my dodger?  Turns out there were two identical boats in the harbor (and they just happened to be good friends). So, his friend got the new dodger! They both sailed the race and had quite a time back and forth over "hope you're enjoying MY dodger". LOL!

Flash forward, he made a new dodger for the intended owner and while other guy offered to pay the full price for his, but they settled on cost + 20%. Now both owners have great dodgers and a canvas fabricator willing to go out of his way for them in a pinch.

Offer to pay for the halyards and a little extra for his time and see what he comes back with. You could end up with a rigger who will do you a favor in a pinch.  It's nice having new stuff on your boat. Consider it a favor, pay the man, have a laugh and enjoy the new stuff.

My $.02
-Jeff Hare