[C320-list] Frozen Compressor on Adler Barbour Cold Machine

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 16:46:43 PDT 2020

My +25 year old refrigerator has worked well (surprisingly) since we bought our 1994 boat in 2017.  I've had it running continually since almost the beginning of this season and never detected a problem other than a few times needing to bump up the thermostat. The frig typically seems to pull about 6 amps based on my charger remote panel readout.
Today, I started tracing a small stream of water that I thought might be a leak in a water hose to my swim platform shower, Instead, I discovered dripping from the compressor area in my aft port lazarette. The discharge/cold line from the compressor was frozen over and ice was gradually melting which caused the drip in the rear of the boat.   Based on stains, I think thios might have been happening for a while (maybe in cycles??).
When I discovered this compressor freezing today, the ice box itself still was very cold inside with ice on the freezer portion and a lot of drinks still nice and cold.
I turned off the refrigerator and deiced the box completely.  I will turn it back on again in a few days and see what happens.  Based on the age of the unit, I don't think it would be prudent to consider trying to have it fixed/recharged (even if I could for a 1993-1994 unit).

So,  anyone have any idea what is happening ..... compressor freezing up, but the icebox itself suggesting everything is ok/working properly?

Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32
Holland, MI