[C320-list] Bilge Pumps and Check Valves

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 2 13:59:58 PDT 2020

I've heard that a check valve in the bilge pump line is not recommended. The concern is that if it failed, it could interfere with the pump function. That said, I did use a check valve for a long time until I started having problems with the pump which I replaced. In the process I removed the flapper in the check valve and have not replaced it.
As for your question, I suggest you raise the float switch temporarily or get a similar replacement for your original pump.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320 1994 #62 “Warr de Mar”
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)