[C320-list] Bilge Pumps and Check Valves

Charles Martin chiprmartin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 12:53:40 PDT 2020

Dear Shipmates:

My bilge pump recently failed, and I have done a quick and dirty fix while
I am waiting for a new pump from Catalina Direct (cheaper but less powerful
than the closest model from West Marine or Defender).

My question is:  the small rule pump I have installed as a temp fix doesn't
sit as low as the intake hose did for the factory installed pump; and as a
result, after it pumps out any water in the bilge and stops, a lot of water
comes back into the bilge from the hose leading up to the above-water
through-hull.  When that happens, the float switch rises, the pump turns on
again, and tries once more to drop the level of the water.  This happens
over and over--an infinite do loop.  I could just raise the float switch,
but I'm wondering if a check-valve in the line might be a more elegant
solution?  Did the diaphram pump installed originally have a built-in check
valve?  Any thoughts?

Best,
Chip Martin
*Bonaventure* -- Sail #767