[C320-list] In-line fuse on battery cables

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Mon Sep 14 14:50:52 PDT 2020

Sara,

I don’t have the same set-up as you do, so I'm not certain which fuse holders you have.  But my bet would be that your fuse holders are corroded, and need replacing.  (You could clean them, instead, but after 20 years it seems worth it to replace them.)

You got good advice not to just replace the 20 amp fuse with a 30 amp.  The fuse has to be sized based on the capacity of the wires and fuse holder to carry the current.  That is affected by both the size of the wire and the condition of the connections.  You can look up the capacity of the cables themselves on-line.  https://www.usawire-cable.com/pdf/nec-ampacities.pdf  But any even if the wires size is large enough, corrosion on the connections can generate the kind of heat you describe.  And it can get worse the longer it goes on.

Defender Marine has an entire web page showing different fuse holders.  https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?name=fuse-holders-and-fuse-blocks&path=-1|328|2290021&id=2290030  You should be able to match what you have by comparing to that page.  But you might need to upgrade from what you have.  I don't see any of the round in-line fuse holders that are rated for more than 30 amps.  There are other types that you could upgrade to that would take a 40 amp fuse.  You'd also want to make sure that the wires to and from the batteries are large enough to handle the extra current.

If you prefer to shop in person West Marine has similar products, but they charge more.  https://www.westmarine.com/fuse-holders

If you get the wire size and fuse capacity ironed out, the combined house-battery/starter battery set-up should work as planned.  I think your problem was more driven by a higher capacity charger delivering more amps than you could use.  But let us know how things work out in the end.  I've learned so much about my boat from reading about how other owners solved their problems.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA