[C320-list] In-line fuse on battery cables

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 14 16:55:06 PDT 2020

 Sara-
I have the standard setup with a 4D battery each on #1 and #2 of the master selector switch. This is the Blue Sea battery terminal fuse holder that I installed on each of my 4D positive battery terminals https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A  .   I used a 50 amp fuse https://www.bluesea.com/products/5177/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_-_50A in each fuse holder per instructions in the manual for my Promariner Pronautic 40 amp 1240P charger.  Specifically, the manual says " Fuse Selection - As illustrated in the diagram, each positive conductor from the charger to thebattery/battery bank must be fused. Choose a fuse that is 10 amps higher than the charger output(e.g. 60 amps, choose a fuse of 70 amps)". So, this fuses/protects between the charger and each battery.  I could easily understand where you would blow 20 amp fuses. The charger supposedly senses what each battery needs, and as you already know, can output up to 40 amps. Rarely however, does this amp output last very long.  I have watched the output quickly drop and have never detected any battery or cable heating. . Your charger also should have come with a temperature sensing cord to attach to one of the batteries.
I don't have any experience with what you have tried with the starter battery and charger.
Dave Hupe