[C320-list] Shower sump won’t completely drain

kendgb kendgb at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 11:48:59 PDT 2020

Yes did figure they were the check valves.  Never really IDed the diaphragm.  Thx for your explanation. KenSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Graeme Clark <cg at skyflyer.co.uk> Date: 2020-09-20  14:26  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list]
  Shower sump won’t completely drain KenHow the pump worksThe motor rotates and has (effectively) a crank on its spindle which pushes the centre of a rubber diaphragm up and down. The rubber diaphragm is like the skin over a drumThe other end of the drum (chamber) had four smaller holes. Each is covered by a metal grille with a  rubber disc attached to it. Crucially the rubber disc over two of these holes are on a different side of the grilleThey therefore act as valves. When the flow pushes the discs against the grille, they seal it. When the flow is in the opposite direction water can freely pass as the rubber disc can bend out of the waySo as the diaphragm is moved away the volume of the chamber expands and water passes through the “inlet” valves but cannot enter via the outlet valves. When the diaphragm moves the other way to reduce the volume of the pump chamber then the reverse appliesHence you can see that any piece of debris that prevents the rubber disc from sealing tight against the metal grille will allow back flow. Similarly a hole I. The diaphragm will stop any flowUnfortunately there’s a good chance that small debris will be found in the outflow from the shower sump and fridgeI hope this helps!GraemeSent from my phone. Excuse typos! > On 20 Sep 2020, at 17:27, Art Harden <artstree at aol.com> wrote:> > I did replace mine last year and it was not that difficult once you pull the cabinet. > > Art Harden> Catalina 320 “Tortuga” #243> 937-477-5544> >> On Sep 20, 2020, at 11:01 AM, Crosby Roper <vmdatsea at hotmail.com> wrote:>> >> I’ve had the same issue. I filled the fridge with about 4 inches of water and the ran the pump. It drained fine. I think the pump just needs to be primed sometimes if it has not been used in a while. >> >> Crosby Roper s/v Tethys # 1054>> >> Sent from my iPhone>> >>>> On Sep 20, 2020, at 6:54 AM, kendgb <kendgb at aol.com> wrote:>>> >>> >>> I faced this problem twice.  The first time I don't know why the second time was when some ground coffee spilled in the refer and pumped through the strainer to the pump.Both times I removed the pump.  Pulled off its head and cleaned it thoroughly.  There are 4 rubber valves or devices that can be pulled back and cleaned.  If yours is the same as mine.  The first time I saw no obvious reason why the pump was not pumping but the cleaning did the job.  The second time the pump was full of ground coffee.  To get it out I cut the wire lugs, slid back the hose fitting holders, removed the near 2 mounting screws and pulled the pump out of the far 2 rubber mounts.Still do not understand how this pump works.Ken GeigerNorthern Dream #755 2000Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.>>> -------- Original message --------From: Charles Martin <chiprmartin at gmail.com> Date: 2020-09-20  09:24  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] >>> Shower sump won’t completely drain Not exactly the same issue, but I cannot get my shower sump or my fridge todrain.  I have cleaned the strainer on the outlet side of the Y-Valve.  Ihave tried blowing air through both lines from the shower drain and thefridge drain and can hear bubbles coming out from the thru-hull on theunderside of the boat, but no water will pump out of either.  I'm beginningto think there is a problem with the sump pump, even though I can hear ittrying hard--diaphragm issue maybe.  Any thoughts?  Has anyone replacedthat o-so-hard to get to pump?Best,Chip MartinBonaventure-Sail #767 (built in 2000)(410) 231-0199chiprmartin at gmail.comOn Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 10:01 PM Darren Hulbert <dhulbert at me.com> wrote:> Ditto on the big sponge>> > On Sep 12, 2020, at 6:51 PM, ptormey at 4square.net wrote:> >> > Yep. I put a bleach "toilet tab" in the thing.> > The water is still there but it does not stink> >> > Pat> > Blue Skies> > Newport RI> >> > -----Original Message-----> > From: C320-list <c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com> On Behalf Of> Leonard Hooks> > Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 8:14 PM> > To: c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> > Subject: [C320-list] Shower sump won’t completely drain> >> >> > Has anyone solved the problem of the last 1/2” of water will not drain> out of the shower sump?> >> > Since the drain hole is on the side, there is a lip that prevents all> the water from being pumped out.> >> >> >> > Leonard Hooks> > 2001 #856 Revelation> >> > sdg> >> > A-1 Banner & Sign Co. Inc.> > 254-776-0024> > a1banner.com> >>>