[C320-list] Replacing engine sound insulation

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Sep 21 10:13:06 PDT 2020

When we bought Surprise in 2003 the first upgrade I did was to add sound
insulation to the engine compartment using the West Marine kit. That
lasted until this week. When I removed the front cover the insulation
was sagging and falling off the cover. I considered this a hazard and so
decided to remove it. Tearing it off I found that the foam rubber layers
had completely disintegrated and were turning to a sticky dust in my
hands. It made a real mess. I was able to remove most of it, but there
is a sticky layer of adhesive still adhering to the inside of the cover.
It looks like the layers were attached to each other using a double
sided adhesive film, and that this was used to attach one side to the
inside of the cover as well. That film likely is still attached.

Has anyone gone through the process of replacing the insulation? If so,
how did you clean up the inside of the covers? Is there a better
solution than the West Marine kit?

The rear cover is showing signs of failing too so I'm going to do both
with whatever I decide upon.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653