[C320-list] Change coolant 200 hours on engine

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 08:21:09 PDT 2020

More than engine hours, time is a factor in coolant.  I now change my
coolant every season, and I only put about 25 hours on my engine a season.
Why do I do it every season? Green coolant begins to break down a little
over the 2 year mark.  When it breaks down, it a) can become corrosive to
your engine, and b) loses it's antifreeze properties. Coolant is cheap.
It's difficult to completely flush all coolant out when changing coolant,
so changing it every year ensures I don't have any remnants sitting in
engine more than 2 years.  I'm also in Chicago, where we have winter's that
can get to -20F for a few days, so maintaining the antifreeze properties
for our winters is important.

The purple antifreeze will last longer before breakdown, but it's more
expensive, harder to find, and requires all green stuff completely flushed
out, and a flush of a water cycle too, as the green and the purple don't
mix well.

Just my 2 cents on changing coolant.
-Christian Caperton
1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL