[C320-list] Shore Power

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 11:04:55 PDT 2021

I can't recommend solar enough.  I installed 2 solar panels (160 Watts
each, 9 amps each) 2 years ago, single best upgrade I have done for
Canuck.  I'm on a mooring, so shore power is not an option.  Additionally,
our winters are long in Chicago, and I used to haul the batteries off her
each fall to keep them warm in the basement, and on a trickle charge.  Now
I don't have to do that, and my back thanks me.  I did a very simple set up
on the wiring, I only have 2 4D batteries, ran 1 panel to each battery
(with a regulator between each panel and battery, of course).  My panels
are mounted on dinghy davits, the solar wires run through the cowls on the
transom, and then passed through the port locker, and mounted my regulators
on the back side of the "bread box" cabinet that sits right above the
fridge in the galley, putting them right next to the shore charger.  I then
tied in to each battery with jumper wires from the regulators to each
battery post on the shore charger.  Both my solar regulators and the
charger had built in diodes to prevent current back flow, so was all an
easy set up.  The hardest part of the whole shebang was building the mount
on top of the davits.  But it's now held 2 years, plenty of sailing, gust
on the can up to 50 kts, and last winter's dump of 3' of snow. in a week,
so I now think my build is rock solid.  I run fridge while sailing, and
often autopilot, done plenty of night sails with cabin and nav lights on
(but all lights are now led, all of them), batteries always charged by
early afternoon the next day (I still never leave the switch on both, and
do alternate batteries between sails).

My solar regulators are victron, and love the built in blue tooth so I can
connect my phone to them and know state of batteries.

This is my 5th season of owning Canuck, and I've never once plugged into
shore power, not even sure if the shore charger even works anymore.
-Christian Caperton
1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor Chicago, IL