[C320-list] Inadequate Dedicated Starting Battery

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Dec 7 06:42:53 PST 2021

The problem you're seeing is that you chose a Deep Cycle battery.  (Duralast G27 Marine battery) You should not use a Deep Cycle or dual purpose starting/deep cycle as your starting battery. You want a true starting battery.  Deep Cycle and duals have thicker plates intended to be drawn down and cycled. As a result, they have much lower max current availability in exchange for lower currents over a longer period of time.  Starting batteries are intended to see high current for short periods of time and then be topped back up quickly by the alternator.

My choice for starting battery is the highest CCA AGM starting battery you want to afford that fits your available space. It'll last the longest, require zero maintenance and won't let you down.

-Jeff Hare