[C320-list] Inadequate Dedicated Starting Battery

Onat Dogruer onatdogruer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 06:57:59 PST 2021

Hi Bob,

I tend to be very cautious before commenting without knowing how things are
wired on someone's boat. However, the issue doesn't sound like a wire gauge
issue. Typically older diesels have a higher cranking amp requirement,
recommended 450-500CCA min starting battery. Our 1998 has a Yanmar 3GM30F
and starting surge is 283A.  The start surge is only for a second or two
and once the engine kicks up, alternator starts feeding back. Our setup is
slightly similar; we have deep cycle golf cart batteries but we always
start on that bank. Aux battery serves as an emergency start.

G27 batteries should be more than adequate; even a good G24 will suffice.
The issue might be the 'new' battery may not actually be in good
condition.
Alternatively, there may be a loose terminal (even a slight wobble will
decrease output).  If I were facing this, I would start by the simplest and
check the terminals, go over the wiring of the house bank and of the
starting battery, and lastly may do a load-test on the starting battery.