[C320-list] Perkins M30 Oil Change

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 1 19:23:58 PST 2021

I have a Yanmar, so some minor details may be different, but here is how I have always changed oil.

I have a West Marine pump with a two-gallon reservoir for holding the oil. Run the diesel for 10 minutes or so to heat up the oil. The tube is relatively stiff, so you can push it down the dipstick hole until it reaches bottom. Pump a couple of times and all of the oil is suctioned out.

Remove the oil filter after that to minimize leakage. I put an absorbent mat under the filter to catch the drips. You can wipe up any oil slop from the pan under the diesel.

Wipe some fresh oil on the rubber gasket before you screw on the new filter. Hand tighten only, unless you are pretty weak. I pour oil in about a pint at a time, giving a minute or so between doses, so I can use the dipstick to see how it’s building up. When it looks full, I put in the dipstick, screw on the oil cap and start the engine after putting a paper towel under the filter.

I run it for five minutes and then check the dipstick and the paper towel for drips that mean the filter is not tight enough. The level should have gone down a bit as the oil filter filled. Don’t worry if you see some carbon in the oil. That’s what diesels do. You can change the oil again to get perfectly clean oil, but it practically makes no difference.

The big thing is to change oil every 75 hours or so. It is the single most important maintenance item on your boat (and your car …) Do it and your diesel will likely run 10,000 hours. Neglect it and you will have black smoke puffing out of your exhaust.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10