[C320-list] Perkins M30 Oil Change

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Tue Feb 2 02:55:52 PST 2021

I use the same as Dave Hupe Napa Gold 1348 and Rotella 15W-40, though it is more a function of finding the size when I show up at the boat. With over 200,000 miles on multiple cars using Fram oil filters (changed every 3,000 - 5,000) with no issues, though, I would use a Fram filter without concern.

By the way, the bolt labeled “C” looks like another way to drain the block (quickly) and possibly someplace where an engine block heater could be installed.

Regarding evacuating oil from point B, that is the way to go. Unfortunately I am not at the boat, but I have a threaded fitting with a rubber hose attached to it. I have the hose extended to the front of the engine with a brass cap. I simply unscrew the cap, either screw-on my hand pump (a Jabsco) or I use the one of the suction containers for transmission fluid, etc. If you use the screw-on hand pump I recommend a 5-gal bucket so it does not splash. Evacuating the oil through this method is just as quick as draining a car, probably quicker than the dipstick method and I believe it fully drains the oil, and it is much less messy.

Jeff, ’94, #121