[C320-list] AIS

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 15:26:11 PST 2021

Jeff

I've considered purchasing an AIS receiver, but honestly for me...it would
literally be a toy.   I have no real need for it where and how I cruise
today...this has not stopped me from still considering it and so I have
done a tiny bit of research.

I'm with Graeme on utility of transmitting my own AIS signal.   In theory
sounds like a good idea, but in practice don't count on the big guys seeing
you or moving out of your way.   If you are doing long passages off
soundings...then you would probably want the Tx functionality and a whole
bunch of other electronic goodies to include SSB, SatPhone, EPIRB, etc.

In general when I think NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000, I'm usually thinking about
how to get an old standard data source onto the new standard backbone.
Generally speaking the MFD will be the new standard and the data sources
will be a combination of new and older standard data sources with an
electronic translator (it's not a simple matter of wiring) to get from the
older standard to the newer.   In your case you are talking about
purchasing a new data source and wiring it to the old standard backbone.
I think that's probably not a good idea.   It would be better to purchase a
data source that is backward compatible with NMEA0183 and wiring using the
0183 port on that device.  If it is possible to somehow get the new
standard device wired to the old backbone using the NMEA2000 port would be
more expensive because you would have to purchase a 2000 to 0183
conveter...again...if that exists...i'm not sure.

Good luck please post what you find out.

Cheers-

Troy Dunn
Hull #514