[C320-list] AIS

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Fri Jan 8 17:38:15 PST 2021

And the problems below outlined by Troy are part of the reason I did my entire suite over from scratch. Most of my gear was vintage 1996 and I wanted all new anyway, and didn't want to piece-meal it because of compatibility issues between 0183 and 2K, and I also didn't want to deal with running wires in my pedestal guard tubes more than once. So I ripped out all the old devices and wiring, and did the entire project at once.

Actisense does make a gateway that will translate between the two protocols, but I viewed that as an intermediate step and ultimately decided that the money would be better spent on going all 2K at once.
https://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000-gateway-ngw-1/

It was a lot of work, kind of expensive, but I'm really glad I did it this way. Any new devices I add now will be easy to add to the 2K backbone. Lots of decisions for you. There are quite a few folks who have done similar projects. If you're handy at all, it's not too difficult.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us