[C320-list] Cutless Bearing Project

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 12:10:07 PST 2021

Jeff et.al.-

Finally finished what ultimately became 'the running gear' project.
Replaced the cutless bearing and the dripless shaft seal bellows, cleaned
up the prop shaft, and lapped the propeller to the shaft taper.  I posted a
whole bunch of photos in the gallery.   This is a fairly easy project using
the associations tools.

Thanks for all the inputs, especially the recco to replace the bellows.
 Although the bellows was perfectly fine in appearance, the bellows had
either taken a set or the rotor had slipped forward on the shaft.  There
was almost no compression force holding the seal to the rotor.   I marked
the shaft with a sharpie as a future reference point and will probably
install some sort of backing to the rotor to help keep it in position.  I
suspect the PO may have taken out the set screws and reused them which is
not reccomended.

Troy Dunn
Hull#514