[C320-list] bilge pump issue

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Thu Jul 15 18:20:11 PDT 2021

My 1999 boat (hull 653) has the original diaphragm bilge pump under the
port settee. I've had almost no problems with it over many years until
recently. Last season I had a few occasions where the bilge pump would
come on and not shut off unless I killed power to it to reset it. I
assumed the sensor in the bilge was bad and replaced it over the winter.
But the problem remains.

When this happened recently I noticed that the pickup hose in the bilge
was not secured and had moved around. I think this probably happened
when we were sailing through some fairly big seas and strong winds with
a lot of heeling and boat motion. My current hypothesis is that the hose
pickup ended up somewhere between the high and low settings for the
sensor so that when the pump was triggered by the sensor at the high
setting it started sucking air before the water level dropped below the
low setting. This would explain the pump coming on but not shutting off
even though it was no longer pumping water. Cutting and restoring power
then shut it off.

All of this made me wonder whether that hose end is supposed to be
secured somewhere in the bilge, and if so how. I didn't see any place
where it appeared to have been secured previously. However the problem
did not occur for many years until recently. Does anyone with a similar
vintage boat have the hose secured? If so, how? A picture would be
appreciated.

As for where the water is coming from, I determined I need to repack the
stuffing box next time we haul out. I'm getting a drip every four
seconds with the engine off despite having the dripless packing. Must be
worn out.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653 (1999)