[C320-list] bilge pump issue

appleton1 at yahoo.com appleton1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 19:04:14 PDT 2021

Early 320s had shallow bilge.
How deep is yours?
Our 1994 model is shallow. And has two pumps.
The manual pump—-located in the coaming above the starboard lazarette—-has a hose into the bilge that’s been fitted with a flat-bottomed strainer, which screws down to the bilge floor. I added the strainer, purchased from either West Marine or Defender.
It’s abetted by an electrically powered Rule centrifugal pump, with a separate hose going aft (which I assume is Y’d into the same exit through hull as the one from the manual pump).
Neither works well. The run to the transom outlet is so long that when either pump stops, the back flow into the bilge refills it.
I end up sponging out the shallow bilge by hand. I suppose that in a crisis they’ll work okay.
- Joe Jablonowski
#103 s/v Assignment