[C320-list] More on AC

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 20 17:23:00 PDT 2021

So I continue to bumble through the planning for air conditioning on my 320.

After talking with several pros, I am in awe of their outrageousness. In addition to wanting their usual $120 an hour, they also want to buy all of the equipment and charge me list price, as opposed to what they actually sell for.

For example, a Webasto 10,000 BTU with seawater pump lists for close to 3K, while I can buy them at defender for $1,700. One estimate was 7K without the through hulls. Yikes!

So plan D is to hire a friend of mine, a  semi-retired contractor, to install the unit in the port cockpit locker as outlined by Warren Updike with the box, trimmed breadbox., teak-trimmed ducts, etc. He and I will then combine on all but the through hulls.

Still, I have several questions for those who have AC:

• Where is the 110-volt saltwater pump mounted? I understand it needs to be below the waterline, but I’m also concerned about a 110-volt cable running through the bilge if I mount it near a new through hull next to the water  intake for the diesel.
• Where do you route the hose from the AC unit and pump  to the through hull? Would I have to route it back through the stern lockers or is there a way to get directly under the aft bunk?
• Is a 15-amp circuit breaker enough for a 10,000 BTU unit? The specs seem to say yes. I have a spare AC breaker slot on the old-style panel that combines the AC and DC connections.
• Warren had his electrical box mounted in the place where my solar controller and battery charger connect to battery cables. Keeping in mind that I want to keep AC and DC far apart, is there another recommended spot for it?

I’m sure I will have more questions. Any insights that owners have would be greatly appreciated.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10