[C320-list] Re-sealing Hatch Lens in Foredeck Hatch

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 27 18:31:27 PDT 2021

Sounds like you have the procedure down. My only question is whether the lens should be replaced. They don't age well. Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent via the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: mark <mseyler at cox.net> Date: 7/27/21  9:11 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at Catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] Re-sealing Hatch Lens in Foredeck Hatch The lens in my foredeck hatch has come loose from the frame; it will liftout of the frame if I push up on it.  I need to re-seal the lens into theframe.  It looks to me like the steps to fix should be: 1.       Detach the hatch dogs and the arms to hold the hatch open from thelens.2.       Remove the lens from the frame.3.       Clean the old sealant off the lens and out of the frame.4.       Mask the frame and the edge of the hatch lens with painter's tape.5.       Lay a bead of new sealant into the frame.6.       Set the lens into the frame, on top of the bead of sealant, andcentered so that there is the same amount of space between the lens and theframe on all sides.7.       Fill the gap between the lens and the frame with additionalsealant, and smooth the bead between the tape on the frame and the tape onthe edge of the lens.    (I've seen conflicting opinions about whether Ihave to let the initial bead cure before I fill in the gap around the sidesof the lens.  Because I'm trying to do this with the hatch in place, I'drather not have to wait for it to cure.)8.       Remove the tape while the sealant is still soft.9.       Reinstall the dogs, etc., after the sealant fully cures. I'm sure it won't be as easy as it sounds.  Any advice before I tackle this? Mark SeylerS/V Reality,Catalina 320, #232New Orleans, LA