[C320-list] Re-sealing Hatch Lens in Foredeck Hatch

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:40:43 PDT 2021

You got the main gist of it.  Couple of additional pieces of the puzzle.

I do not reccomend reusing the old rubber seal get a new one and get it in
place before laying in your initial bead of Dow 795.

I do not reccomend letting the first bead of Dow 795 skin over before
applying the final bead.  You want as good a chemical bond as possible
before the sealant cures. (allow about 3 weeks for a full cure).

If you are doing this in situ then once installed cover the outside of the
hatch with a plastic bag and understand that any movement of the lens (e.g.
bashing to windward in 25 kt breeze) during the cure risks weakening the
bond.   If you must sail during the cure….consider using painters tape to
secure the lens in place while it is curing.  If you can wait at least a
week before sailing I think the painters tape should keep it sufficiently
in place.

If you are reusing the old lens…unless it is really in great condition.  I
would recco replacing.  You can get replacement cast acrylic from estreet
plastics and cut a new lens or get one cut.   It will be way cheaper than
buying an 'upgraded' lens from Catalina Direct.

My gallery has a few pictures on the install, lens making, etc process.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514