[C320-list] Re-sealing Hatch Lens in Foredeck Hatch

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 19:41:04 PDT 2021

Mark- I definitely agree with others to replace the rubber seal and the lens now considering your hull number.  If you do this in place, prop open the bottom lip of the hatch if possible so the hatch is about level to do the lens placement.  When you place the lens on the initial bead, set a full paint can or other similar weight in the center of the lens to keep pressure on the seal while you add sealant and smooth it out.  Keep the weight there while curing occurs. Leave the outside paper in place until after the initial cure .... it can be carefully removed later by pulling  the edges slowly parallel with the lens, not upward .... also carefully use a razor blade if necessary to aid lifting a corner and releasing the paper from the whole edge of the bead of sealant.  I replaced all my side large. elongate fixed windows in 2017 (see my article in the Spring 2018 Mainsheet).  The black Dow 795 sealant definitely is the stuff to use. You need to work quickly since it will get tacky very fast.  Place/center the lens and don't move it. My experience with my windows (remember .... sitting nearly vertical) is that the sealant set up adequately in a day (or 2 is safer) if you are working in dry conditions so that there is no movement. After that time, I was able to remove my braces and all the paper without the seal failing. Additional curing will occur with more time, but you don't need to let everything cure a week (the lens won't shift based on my observation of cure speed).  Just be careful reinstalling your dog latches and then closing the hatch ..... don't overtighten ...... allow more curing until you adjust the dogs tighter.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)