[C320-list] Through hull for new AC unit

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 11:00:30 PDT 2021

We have a 16,000 btu unit that both cools and heats.  The unit sits on the port locker shelf.  There is one air discharge vent that dumps all the cooled/heated air into the main salon just above the refrigerator. An return/intake air grill is located on the port wall of the aft bedroom. This setup will cool/heat the entire boat, but you must leave the aft bedroom door open to create a circuit of air.  You probably could also install a vent grate in the door to do the same thing if you wanted the door shut.
A separate  water supply thruhull is in the bottom of the hull very close to the engine water thruhull.  I believe you could use a Y off the engine thruhull, but would ALWAYS need to be able to select ONLY one route at a time.  As another commenter said, you don't want to suck air into the engine cooling circuit  back thru an open  AC circuit, nor do you want to run the AC and suck water back from the idle engine circuit.
My AC water discharge is thru a port side thruhull just slightly lower than the port locker shelf.
You also will need to deal with getting rid of water condensate. My condensate accumulates in a pan under the compressor and gravity drains (not well) out a rear small thruhull above the swim platform.  I recommend instead a separate active pump with float or sensor for the condensate that works regardless if the AC is running or not.
Dave Hupe1994 #32

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android