[C320-list] Through hull for new AC unit

Melissa&Larry Leibman theleibmans at verizon.net
Mon Jun 21 14:15:03 PDT 2021

I initially ran a T off of the engine through hull for A/C cooling as a temporary measure before I hauled the boat at the end of the season to install the extra seacock (of course with a ball valve to isolate the circuit; however, I have no ball valve in the engine side of the split; so when the A/C is running is could theoretically suck water from the raw water cooling circuit).

10 years later the T remains, and I’ve never had a problem. There is more than sufficient cooling water for the March A/C pump used to cool the A/C (albeit only a 12K BTU unit with appropriately sized cooling water pump). I have a garden hose connection in the line from the ball valve to the A/C pump to remove any air that might accumulate but I’ve only had to use that after launch or once when a sea nettle clogged the filter.

I once even forgot the close the ball valve before starting the engine, and although I remembered before it ran very long, it seemed to be keeping cool just fine. I think the flow through the engine intake is sufficient even with the ball valve open.

That said, I would guess that a dedicated through hull and strainer is called for by ABYC, and if anyone asks that is my recommendation.  Furthermore, I keep some spare hose aboard in the event the A/C sucks something into the through hull that I cannot blow out, I could draw water from a different through hull like one in the head.

I still plan to install that separate through hull ………. 😊

Larry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10