[C320-list] Quiet 12v fan?

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 16:55:33 PDT 2021

I mounted two Caframo Ultimate 757 in our aft stateroom based on an old
Practical Sailor report on fans from 2008 (this report available online
without subscription)

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/windy-ways-practical-sailor-whips-up-12-volt-cabin-fan-test

These fans move a lot of air, are reasonably quiet and do not draw a lot of
current.  I found them on Amazon for under $40.  Note that the newer design
has a mount that allows orienting the fan in any direction, different from
what is noted in the PS article.

One of the fans vibrated more than the other and by switching the blades
from one motor to the other it was obvious one of the blades was not very
well balanced.  Using a tiny bit of sticky Bed-It butyl tape I was able to
"tune" the imbalance out of the offending unit.  I simply stuck a small
lump of the tape to the back side of the blade toward the tip until I found
the best result.  It was an iterative process but did not take long.  After
I got the "bad" unit balanced, I went to work on the other one (that I
originally thought was "good") and I was able to improve its balance as
well.  Now both fans are quiet and work great!

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206