[C320-list] Buffing and polishing

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Sun Mar 7 15:51:14 PST 2021

The key is removing the oxidation (chalkiness) before applying any choice of wax or other surface finish.  I’m a fan of Polarshine compound material to remove the oxidation.  I use the Polarshine 10 product which is on the fine side of the products they make.  I find it to be non-gritty and fairly gentle on the gelcoat.  I use a DeWalt circular polisher on the hull to apply the material, but I don’t find it helpful on the topsides becasuse of the various obstacles and corners involved, so I end up doing the topsides by hand, which takes a while……  I tried an orbital originally on the hull and I didn’t find it to work very well at all.  I see many people in the boat yard just put wax on over the top of an oxidized gelcoat.  Total waste of time IMO and within a month or two it doesn’t look any better than when they started.  As far as waxes go, there are many good ones out there.  The Collinite waxes have always had good reviews in Practical Sailor and I have used them, but there are many others that will work just as well.  You may want to check what PS says relativ eto their latest reviews.  And again, the key is removing the oxidation first.  Best of luck…..

Joe Luciano
C-320 #1044