[C320-list] Buffing and polishing

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:02:00 PST 2021

Peter-

Do you know when the last time Tangled was detailed?  It's really hard to
reccomend compounds, polishes, waxes and pads without knowing the condition
of your gelcoat.   Assuming it is not chalky in appearance and does not
require compounding, I suggest you start with a polish.

For polishing I like the Chemical Guys polishing pad.   It’s a pinkish
color...at least the one I got.   Use a good marine polish.    My favorite
is 3M.

For wax...go with Collinite Fleet Wax.   Do NOT let it dry completely.  For
best results you should have a water spray bottle handy to lightly mist the
wax if it gets dry before you get it off.    Work in small areas. You can
find guides and videos on line for doing this.  Once you are finished go
back and buff it with soft buffing pad on the entire hull.

If you need to remove oxidized gelcoat you will need to use cutting
compounds and the glaze to remove the swirls from compounding.  This can
turn into a serious multi day project....   if you go this route, I like
the Finesse It glazes...  For cutting pads Chemical Guys have some decent
cutting pads that aren’t too agressivr.

Good luck, the PC is a good and safe DA polisher.   Most professional boat
detailers use higher speed buffers that generate a tad more heat, when
executed properly they do a better job than the polisher.   When executed
improperly, things can go pear shaped in a hurry.

Don’t let the wet pads spin too much when not in contact with the
hull....they will rotate too fast and self destruct...ask me how I know.

Good Luck

Troy Dunn
Hull#514