[C320-list] (no subject)

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 13 06:35:07 PST 2021

Five feet or less of draft is considered optimal for the southern ICW, Florida and the Bahamas.

If more than five feet, bring your towboat insurance card. The ICW has serious shoaling. You also lose large chunks of the west coast of Florida and the Keys as cruising areas due to shallow water. You can cruise the Bahamas with deeper draft, but also lose some harbors and passages.

The east coast of Florida is less harsh toward deep drafts if you sail offshore, but inlets are often spaced 30 or 40 miles apart and lead into major cities , where it’s less fun to cruise.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10