[C320-list] Cleaning Stainless Steel and Swim Platform Crack

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Fri Mar 19 10:45:31 PDT 2021

To all,

Any methods of cleaning stainless steel that work for more than a season? I used a product called “Never Dull” but I am either unhappy with it or have unreasonable expectations. I need to clean surface rust from my hardware for my Bimini, Dodger, and my lifeline stanchions. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I also have a crack at the joint on the swim platform. I know others here have suggested this happens in the gelcoat and is not a major issue but mine seems pretty deep. Can I just investigate it with a thin screwdriver or paint scraper, for instance? How can I determine if it is more than a gelcoat crack? Last question here - is this relatively easy to repair? I have Don Casey’s Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair book, so I am willing to try. If it is one of those things better left to a pro, though, so it looks acceptable, I would appreciate that advice.

Since I am asking repair questions, paint is starting to fade on a previous repair undertaken by the previous owner. Can I just color match this and paint again? It is a circle about the size of a grapefruit on the transom as it slopes to the water line.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff, ’94, #121