[C320-list] Port light replacement

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue May 11 13:48:45 PDT 2021

Before you go ripping them out, try the following, assuming you have
the old-style portlights with gaps in the frame at 3 o'clock and 9
o'clock. I've given this same reply on other threads and you'll probably
find it in the link Troy provided:

I also made the repair using this method. I can say that without a
doubt it worked. Try this BEFORE you go replacing the O-ring (major
hassle) or any other parts and see if it solves your problem. If you
devote 1 entire day to making this repair, you could fix all of your
windows in one session. Get them all taped up first and then go around
with the caulk and do each one like an assembly line. I used the white
4200 and it looks factory. You can buy a cheap set of dental picks at
Harbor freight that will help you yank out the old gasket material.

Below is a link to a blog article from someone who owns a C-36 and
repaired his fixed ports the same way. These fixed ports (like the ones
we have on our C320's) also have the same joint in the frame, though
mine haven't leaked yet. The pictures are very useful and if you've
spent any amount of time studying your ports, you can see that the
repair process is very similar. When you do yours, do it with the window
open, and make sure to tape off the inside of the frame as well as the
mating surface where the window closes and the o-ring to prevent getting
any sealant where it doesn't belong. I highly recommend caulking the
inside as well as the outside. The inside frame is only held on with
Velcro and will come off easily with a little tug.

http://blog.taas.it/2013/05/for-catalina-36-ia-community.html

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if you have questions, as I
have done all of my windows this way even if they haven't leaked yet.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us
1996 C-320 Hull #350 - September Song