[C320-list] Water heater replacement

Jamie Pett JPett at jp2architects.com
Fri May 21 06:26:18 PDT 2021

John - Thanks for the help. Replacing the hoses sounds like a good idea - do you recall what length you needed ?

So the heater hoses are the closed engine loop, correct ? After the replacement I assume you just top off the coolant ?

Jamie Pett
JP2 Architects

Be well. Be safe. Be kind.

R. JAMES  PETT  \ AIA
Principal

 D. 410.646.8301
C. 410.446.8515
www.JP2architects.com
> On May 12, 2021, at 9:07 AM, John Meyers <jcmeyers7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jame,
>
> One more thing.....  Keep the coolant from the hose, if you want to anyway,
> to be replaced after the new heater is connected. There might be a quart or
> two. Run the engine for a couple minutes and the engine coolant level
> should go down so you can add the old or new coolant. This may take a
> couple cycles to get all the air out of the new lines etc and to get the
> coolant all back in.
>
> As far as the reattaching the rear bracket - I don't remember that being a
> problem. As a disclaimer - "Your experience may be different."
>
> If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
>
> John Meyers
>
>> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 8:40 AM John Meyers <jcmeyers7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Jamie,
>>
>> I did this a couple years ago.
>>
>> Good on the bypass. But I disconnected the end of one hose from the engine
>> and allowed fluid to drain into a pan. Then I took off the other hose from
>> the engine. Putting a plastic bag over one end and punching a hole in the
>> bag I blew out any fluid remaining.
>>
>> Obviously , there are some plumbing and other stuff that needs to be
>> removed such as electrical.
>>
>> There should be enough hose between the engine and heater that when you
>> start to pull it out and you can disconnect hoses from heater.
>>
>> Getting the old heater out is somewhat cumbersome with lifting and
>> twisting but not a huge deal. Same for putting the new one in.
>>
>> While the heater was out I replaced the hoses from the engine to heater as
>> they were over 21 years old. This was not a big problem as the cubby below
>> the oven can be removed to give hand access to the hoses to direct them
>> from A to B.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> John Meyers
>> Wind Chime #406
>> Muskegon, MI
>>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 7:09 PM Jamie Pett <JPett at jp2architects.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list - hope everyone is well.  So I am tackling a replacement of my
>>> hot water heater on Bella Luna and wonder if anyone can provide a bit of
>>> guidance. Ordered a replacement unit -same Seaward 6 ga.  that is currently
>>> in the boat.
>>>
>>> Pulled galley cabinet unit, tied hot and cold water lines together as a
>>> temp.bypass, and disconnected power.
>>>
>>> So original Seaward 6 ga.unit largely disconnected but did not yet pull
>>> the heat exchanger lines off.  Current question - anticipating when I pull
>>> those the coolant from the engine will drain out ? Bigger question is after
>>> getting the new unit connected, how do I purge the air out of the coolant
>>> loop ?
>>>
>>> Oh, and any suggestions on how to get the rear mounting bracket
> [...]
>>> 2811 Dillon Street, Baltimore, MD 21224