[C320-list] Weeping Keel Bolt

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 11:55:27 PDT 2021

Tom-
What is the condition of your keel to hull joint?
Mine was in very bad shape (especially at the aft end)  and yet I did not have a leak along that interface (which would have to be the leak source to the bolts if at all). I spent $3200 my first season having the boat hauled and hung to keep the joint open, that entire joint ground/sanded for about a foot each way up the hull and down the keel,  several layers of fiberglass was applied all around, then thickened West Systems epoxy was used to fair out the area.  It was finished with barrier coat and finally bottom paint.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 6:34 PM, Dave Hupe<hoopdtwo at yahoo.com> wrote:   I doubt a keel bolt is leaking unless your keel to hull joint is severely bad.  My boat is 1994, much older than yours.  I have had similar concerns in the past when I detected seepage that appeared to be a leaking bolt.  Instead there was seepage from elsewhere that migrated into/below the structural grid toward such a low spot and only looked like a leaking bolt on first reaction.  One source of water was my shaft packing gland after I had replaced it and not tightened it much at first.  More recently, I had a leaking original water hose within the structural grid that went from my galley area to the head sink.
Dave Hype
1994 C320 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM, RONALD HODEL<ronandgail2 at me.com> wrote:   I have no idea having not had that experience but, golly, I would have thought the marina staff commissioning the boat would have said something right away.

Ron Hodel
#1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPad