[C320-list] Compass Question

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Nov 8 06:56:11 PST 2021

Tom,

If you have a Ritchie compass, prior to 2001 they were filled with paraffin-based odorless mineral spirits. Starting in 2001, Ritchie switched to Isopar L which freezes at -40 F according to the data on the West Marine site.

https://www.ritchienavigation.com/blog/faq-items/what-type-of-fluid-is-in-my-ritchie-magnetic-compass/

I don't think it regularly gets that cold in Michigan, but you'll need to be the final judge of that. If you decide to remove it, mark the orientation with a piece of masking tape from the compass to the mounting bracket and then carefully cut the tape with a razor blade so you can get it properly aligned in the spring.

Stay warm up there!

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us