[C320-list] Compass Question

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Nov 8 07:02:11 PST 2021

Most marine compasses are filled with mineral spirits. They can freeze
if the temp gets down to something like -40 C. But I doubt if it gets
that cold even in Michigan. Some people have reported problems with
bubbles developing, but I suspect that is due to degradation of the
seals if the compass is old and left uncovered. I do not recall anyone
reporting problems like that with a 320. I do not remove my compass here
in Maryland. I just cover it up. (Actually I cover it up whenever I'm
away from the boat, summer or winter.)

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653