[C320-list] Flooded acid battery and refrigeration questions

Allan Field allanfield47 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:19:43 PST 2021

When we bought our C320 20+ years ago, it came with the ProMariner
battery cooker and lead cell batteries. The dealer told us then that if the
charger was on, there needed to be a load on the batteries. We left the
fridge on 24/7. After about 3 years, it didn't make much of a difference as
the batteries got cooked anyway. We switched to a Xantrex charger and Gel
batteries, left the charger and fridge on 24/7, and never had another
problem until someone ruined the batteries about 8 years later when we lent
them the boat for 2 weeks. We then switched to AGM; again, no issues. On
our current boat we have had for 5+ years, we have AGMs, leave the fridge
and charger on 24/7, and zero issues. However, a marine contractor did tell
me once that with AGMs, we didn't need the load if the charger was running.
I come down once per month during the winter, run the charger for 3-4 days
without a load, the batteries come back to full, they are 5+ years old now,
and still hold a full charge. But I have only let them get below 50% SOC
(45%) once. Not sure if this helps...

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - C387, #103 (formerly C320, #808)
Columbia, MD