[C320-list] Flooded acid battery and refrigeration questions

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Tue Nov 16 16:27:11 PST 2021

Jack, the monitors are very good at measuring voltage and amperage going
into or from the batteries. It's true that they guess about capacity and
the state of discharge, but you can actually learn quite a lot from
those two measures, and how they change over time. So I guess I have
more faith in the smart charge controllers than you do.

The best charge controllers are clever enough to avoid the situation you
describe. For example, the Victron Phoenix chargers will start a new
bulk charge cycle due to a load turning on only if the load causes the
charger to go to maximum amps for at least 4 seconds. See
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Phoenix_Smart_IP43_Charger_manual/en/charging-algorithms.html
<https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Phoenix_Smart_IP43_Charger_manual/en/charging-algorithms.html>.
Your fridge drawing 5 amps should not come close to triggering that with
a 30 amp charger, even if it draws more briefly when the compressor
starts. As long as the charger stays at float voltages there should be
no gassing. And the amps going into the batteries will not go up either
if the voltage does not rise. Instead the increased output from the
charger will be going to the load, not the battery.  A different
controller might not be so clever and might raise the voltage when it
detects a load.

I'm all in favor of empirical evidence, however. So perhaps next time
you are plugged into shore power you might check whether the voltage or
amperage going into the battery goes up when the refrigerator is running
to test your theory. You will need an accurate battery monitor to detect
it, but as I said they do measure voltage and current accurately.

BTW, you are technically wrong when you say "too much current causes
boil." It's actually too much voltage applied to a fully charged battery
that causes "boil." If current were the problem then batteries would
boil when charging even when highly discharged, since that's when they
accept the highest current. On the other hand, a charger that applies a
voltage above the gassing level will overcharge full batteries even if
the current level is very low. That's why you want a charger that is
clever enough to apply no more than float voltages to a fully charged
battery, even if it appears to be drawing more current than usual.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653